The contestants selected for the IMS2018 Three Minute Thesis (3MT®) Competition will be formally announced after 15 March 2018. Notification will be sent only to those who are selected as competitors.
IMS2018 Three Minute Thesis (3MT®) Competition Rules
2018 is the second year of the Three Minute Thesis (3MT®) Competition at IMS. The purpose of the 3MT® Competition is to showcase those students and young professionals who have distilled their highly complex, technical research into presentations accessible to non-specialists, and to video those presentations for use on IMS’s YouTube channel, attracting students to the microwave profession, and demonstrating to the general public the relevance and importance of microwaves and related technical fields.
Three Minute Thesis Competition Submission Requirements
1. All authors wishing to participate in the competition are required to follow the regular IMS2018 paper submission process. Papers must be identified as 3MT® Competition submissions during the electronic submission process (deadline: Tuesday, 5 December 2017). Only one 3MT® presentation per accepted paper will be allowed.
2. To be considered, the author must be a Student or Young Professional (YP); YPs are defined by IEEE as post-student members who are within 15 years of receiving their first professional degree.
3. 3MT® submissions are reviewed by the Technical Paper Review Committee (TPRC) the same as all other IMS2018 paper submissions. Only those papers that (a) are selected by the TPRC for either an oral or interactive forum presentation, (b) are self-identified as 3MT® submissions by the author(s), and (c) meet the 3MT® criteria listed here are eligible to participate in the 3MT® Competition. Contestants will be selected and recommended by the IMS2018 3MT® Competition committee from the eligible 3MT® submissions. Any accepted contestant may speak only once, with no substitutions.
4. 3MT® contestants will receive email notifications in mid-February 2018. Confirmation of receipt must be sent via email by 28 February 2018 to firstname.lastname@example.org once the notification is received. The confirmation email should address all items requested in the email notification.
5. The 3MT® contestants will be invited to make a presentation of three minutes or less, supported only by one static slide, subject to the rules of the 3MT® Competition, in addition to their regular IMS2018 oral or interactive forum presentation. The competition is scheduled for Monday, 11 June 2018, in one of the technical session venues.
6. 3MT® presentations will be ranked by a panel of non-specialist judges on how engaging, accessible, and compelling the contestants made their presentation. The top winners, together with an Audience Choice winner, will be announced and awards will be presented during IMS2018. It is planned to award cash prizes to the top three ranked contestants and to the Audience Choice winner.